The Digital Marketing Golden AgeAdmin
Since February, the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic has continually taken over the world. Different countries/states were sent into lockdown. The impact on businesses, Global, MNCs, SMEs have been indiscriminately hit with revenue losses, diminished sales. Some businesses have been forced to temporarily or permanently close down rendering many people jobless or the luckier having to take major pay cuts.
These are challenging times indeed.
Continually, the world now has and continues to adjust to a ‘new normal’. Through the dark tunnel is hard immunity, the push for survival not only for Humankind but also for businesses. The Corona Virus pandemic has proven to be the ultimate test of resilience for many people and businesses alike.
The pandemic has shaken notions, schools of thought, cultures, beliefs and lots of business practices.
The need to adapt brought in foreign concepts for many; Remote working, work from home, online meetings, digital marketing, e-commerce.
Welcome to the Digital Marketing Golden Age!!
Digital marketing involves all marketing efforts that use an electronic device or the internet. In digital marketing, businesses leverage channels (digital) such as SE (Search Engines), Social Media, Emails, e-commerce platforms as well as other websites to reach their current and prospective customers.
While traditional Marketing exists in print ads, physical marketing, phone communication, digital marketing occurs electronically and online. There are therefore infinite possibilities for brands such as emails, video. Social media, or website-based marketing opportunities.
Digital marketing is critical for any business and brand awareness. Most leading brands have a website, those that don’t, at least have a social media presence or a digital ad strategy. Digital content and marketing is very common, consumers expect and rely on it as a way to learn about brands.
Time and time again, it has been said that the Internet is the great leveler. This statement’s logic is that any organization, no matter the size, can reap great benefits off of the Internet as long as they optimize it. The internet platform can enable a small startup business to compete with a global big size of a competitor, and actually win. It is imperative that to be competitive, business owners need to embrace some aspects of digital marketing.
Digital marketing presents an array of options and strategies associated with it. Businesses can get creative and experiment with a variety of marketing tactics on a budget. Digital marketing avails tools like analytics dashboards that businesses can use to monitor the success and ROI of their campaigns more than they could, with a traditional promotional content — such as a billboard or print ad.
Although Digital marketing and social media marketing have gained a greater prominence over the years, the Covid 19 pandemic pushed a speedier transition and conversion from Businesses with limited options to the contrary, with significantly reduced movements and a push for everything digital, there has been a stampede into Digital Marketing!
Certain developments in the digital space are;
1) Lower prices for digital marketing ads across all platforms that use a bidding model in some countries, with several service offerings and many options for consumers
2) Digital media consumption is over-indexing. Consumers have focused all the attention to digital. Work, School, entertainment via social media and Netflix. This means that there is a massive opportunity on digital media.
3) Branded user-generated content (UGC) is on the rise There has been a massive popularity in creating digital content at scale. Brands should now take the opportunity to connect with their digital communities who can create user-generated content or UGC that is aligned with their brand story.
4) Digitally enabled business models are growing. Many businesses have pivoted their business models so that they can serve their customers online, and not just offline. This trend seems to be accelerating with many small businesses onboarding on the e-commerce cart directly from their smartphones. There is a budding market of digital marketing ‘newbies’ who are fast adopting it as the most cost-effective and practical way of acquiring customers and retaining them.
5) Consumer Behavior Is Being Digitally Disrupted. The advent of Uber a few years odd ago changed a lot of the way people think. One of the seemingly rigid concept of transportation was transformed. Uber brought with it a game changer in public transport. Consumers could access public transport, on demand. With the various advancements and innovations in the digital sector, the consumer has rightly so, developed a degree of ‘unforgiving-ness’. A massive affinity to convenience. The consumer expects, and rightly so, that their problems can and should be solved by the touch of a button.
Digital marketing is becoming increasingly essential as a result of a growing class of digitally-savvy consumers coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic who will prefer the new way over the old ways.
Unrefutably, digitalization, once considered a nice to have, has now become a Must Have.
Authored by: Rosemary Ndinda Ndivo — CEO, Solidlaunch Consult,